Film director arrested

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow
Wed Apr 21 10:20:24 EDT 2004

On 2004.4.21, at 03:47 ??, Alex Zahlten wrote:

> By the way, does anyone know who actually runs the JMD and how the
> collect
> their information- that is do they rely on EIREN or compile information
> themselves? I've asked around quite a bit, but no one seems to know.

The man who runs it is Nomura Yusuke, a fellow who seems to be active
on the net in a number of places such as Aozora Bunko (he did the
inputting for the Yamanaka Sadao and Terada Torajiro texts there).
Beyond that, I don't know anything about him, though most people sing
his praises considering how he has created an immensely valuable
database all by himself. But the fact he has had to do it all by
himself--and thus that there are thus mistakes in the database--only
reminds us how much the institutions that should be doing this--such as
the Film Center--are not.

My impression is that Nomura largely relies on KineJun shokai, which
give you a largely complete set of cast and credits for all non-pink
films released in the year. But it's clear he has to be supplementing
it with other material: the KineJun shokai do not include pink films,
but Nomura does, and some of his records are more detailed than the
KineJun shokai. I imagine he combines records from Eiga nenkan or other
industry publications with theater pamphlets and other distributor
information.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html