a japanese film of sixties

stephanie deboer sdeboer at usc.edu
Wed Aug 4 13:09:34 EDT 2004

Greetings.  I loved your account of your 1960s experiences with Japanese film as well!  (though I'm sorry that I can't recognize the film that you describe)

And along these lines, if anyone is interested, Kinnia Yau Shuk-ting has a chapter in a book on the Shaw Studios that the HK Film Archive published last year.  The chapter is titled "Shaw's Japanese Collaboration and Competition as Seen Through the Asian Film Festival Evolution."  She's been doing a lot of work on exactly these kinds of intersections. While Nagata and Run Run Shaw (Daei and Shaw) were behind its establishment (1953) and promotion, the other four major Japanese studios were also participants, winning awards, for example (and by the way, the Asian FF was held in Jakarta in 1970 – the year that Japan did NOT win any awards!).

Kinnia Yau also makes the point that the Festival was also a place through which liaisons could be made, resulting in such "co-productions" as Princess Yang Kwei Fei (1955, Daiei/Sh
aw), Madame White Snake (1956, Toho/Shaw), and Asia-Pol (1966, Nikkatsu/Shaw).  I've also read accounts of the HK actress Yu Min coming to Toho's attention by way of the Festival as well.  My sense is that similar links/liaisons could be found with other participants of the festival (it was originally called the Federation of Motion Picture Producers of Southeast Asia, which seems pretty telling).  These would be studio participants in such places as Indonesia (!), the Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand...   A truly complex network.

As for Rashomon, my sense is that Rashomon's festival success has been understood by some as encouraging Japanese film producers to see the potential of overseas markets in general – not simply European festivals, but also the South East markets as well.

And wasn't Shaw himself interested in distributing Japanese films?  I know that he secured the rights to show Rashomon in Hong Kong.  And given his SE Asian routes of distribution, he m
ight have distributed it elsewhere, as well.  (or perhaps I'm wrong about this last statement...?)

yours,
Stephanie DeBoer