(Dead) actors revival

mark schilling schill at jcom.home.ne.jp
Tue Aug 24 13:17:52 EDT 2004

I'm not sure about the specific issue of frame grabs, but I do know that
when I published "The Yakuza Movie Book" Stonebridge asked me to
contact the rights holder for every image, no matter what the age or source,
and have them sign a permission form. Peter Goodman's explanation:
Japanese rights holders were becoming more aggressive in seeking out
pirates -- and he wanted to leave nothing to chance, which meant no
longer relying on the author's word that everything was cool.

I had few problems with the permissions themselves, but more of the rights
holders wanted payments -- sometimes substantial ones -- than when I went
through a similar rigmarole for my pop culture encyclopedia in 1997.

There were exceptions. When I asked NHK for permission to use a photo of the
"Kohaku" finale for the book they told me I would have get permissions
from --
and pay fees to -- every one of the dozens of performers on stage. Before I
collapsed of shock, they said if I used a photo that didn't clearly show the
performers' faces, I would only have to pay NHK's fee: 5,000 yen. So that's
why the photo in the book was taken from the rafters.

BTW, I found Matsuda Yusaku's widow pleasant to deal with. If she charged me
a fee I don't remember it -- but that was 1997.

Mark Schilling
schill at gol.com