They all look the same...

Alex Zahlten Alex.Zahlten at gmx.de
Mon Aug 30 04:58:54 EDT 2004

The stir that a casting of Chinese nationals as Japanese in a Hollywood film
might stir up in respective "areas" (Japan, Japanophiles, Film Studies
etc.), and the different reasons that each of these groups might have to
object to it, is interesting in itself, I think.
For one, to stay in the realm of the national/national identity, no one
really objects when Angelina Jolie is cast as a Briton in Tombraider, or
Hugh Jackson as an American mutant in X-Men. Of course, this kind of
cross-casting can extend into sexual identity, when straight actors gay
characters or vice versa, which also rarely causes uproar anymore (though
there are specific dynamics at work here as well).

I'd like to hear some thoughts on what is actually objectionable to the
casting of memoirs as it stands- apart from the fact that it might alienate
Japanese audiences, which is more of an economic reasoning. Although it
could be interesting to think about why Japanese audiences would be
alienated by such a move (I can think of cases where such national
cross-casting has not caused any kind of objections- a complicated case in
point would be the casting of Schindlers List and the reactions to it in
Germany). And Japan itself, of course, has a long history of such national
cross-casting (I lack a better word for it), with a fair amount, if not the
majority, of bit part American roles to this day being played by obviously
(maybe not to a Japanese audience) non-Americans. In this case, I find it
much more problematic that they are also often obviously not professional
actors.

Alex Zahlten

alex at nipponconnection.de

NEU: Bis zu 10 GB Speicher für e-mails & Dateien!
1 GB bereits bei GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail