Japan Foundation

Mark Harris mark_r_harris
Thu Aug 12 13:48:24 EDT 2004

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my query
about the Japan Foundation, both on and off-list. I
think I have the information I need to move forward,
and I hope to begin introducing Northeast Wisconsin
audiences to some great Japanese films beginning in
2005. The first, as I mentioned, will be Ozu's Good
Morning. Our Green Bay Film Society screenings are at
the Neville Public Museum in Green Bay, which is
currently hosting a history exhibition, Beyond the
Cleavers: Life in the 1950s, that focuses on
suburbanization and social mores during that decade.
This month, the Film Society is running a little
three-film mini-series of Fifties classics in
conjunction with the exhibit (Father of the Bride,
Rebel Without a Cause, Invasion of the Body
Snatchers). The Neville's history curator, Trevor
Jones, asked me if I could think of an international
film that would also tie in with the exhibit's themes
and serve as a nice example of parallel developments
elsewhere, and Good Morning immediately came to mind.
It was the best example I could think of of a sort of
cross-cultural version of Leave It to Beaver, but made
with intelligence, visual artistry, and fart jokes.

Mark

=====
Mark R. Harris
107 Canal Street