American Films in Tokyo

Ann Tomoko Yamamoto yamamoto_ann
Fri Aug 13 04:21:50 EDT 2004

Giacomo,

This is a bit off topic, but I can?t resist replying to your note about Abel
Ferrara?s ?New Rose Hotel.? I worked on locations for the film and could
write pages and pages about working with a heavily drug-addicted director,
but that would be even more off topic.

?New Rose Hotel? was a huge challenge ? the story flits through Tokyo,
Marrakesh, and various European locations. There might have been some pickup
shots on location (I was only involved in the primary filming in NYC), but
pretty much everything was shot in NYC; the capsule hotel scenes were shot
in an unused storefront around 14th street on the west side, and the Tokyo
restaurant was a sushi restaurant just north of Little Italy. I don?t have
all my notes from the shoot, but the European locations were shot at the
Roosevelt Hotel, Flatotel, a mansion on Riverside Drive, club in the west
village, and a Soho loft space.

Anyway, what ends up on screen is in many ways the result of struggles to
maximum ?production value;? Toronto poses as NYC, NYC poses as Tokyo, etc.

Ann