American Films in Tokyo

tetsuwan@comcast.net tetsuwan
Fri Aug 13 10:48:48 EDT 2004

(continuing the OT thread)
I'd love to hear about Ferarra. He is after all the king of New York.

Giacomo,

This is a bit off topic, but I can?t resist replying to your note about Abel Ferrara?s ?New Rose Hotel.? I worked on locations for the film and could write pages and pages about working with a heavily drug-addicted director, but that would be even more off topic.

?New Rose Hotel? was a huge challenge ? the story flits through Tokyo, Marrakesh, and various European locations. There might have been some pickup shots on location (I was only involved in the primary filming in NYC), but pretty much everything was shot in NYC; the capsule hotel scenes were shot in an unused storefront around 14th street on the west side, and the Tokyo restaurant was a sushi restaurant just north of Little Italy. I don?t have all my notes from the shoot, but the European locations were shot at the Roosevelt Hotel, Flatotel, a mansion on Riverside Drive, club in the west village, and a Soho loft space.

Anyway, what ends up on screen is in many ways the result of struggles to maximum ?production value;? Toronto poses as NYC, NYC poses as Tokyo, etc.

Ann