They all look the same...

Fergus MacDermot macdermotfergus
Mon Aug 30 11:53:40 EDT 2004

>raised an interesting point about "cross-casting." If Brits and Aussies
>can play Americans and
>Americans can play Brits (rarely Aussies for some reason) without anyone
>raising a rumpus,

Well I suppose one obvious difference is that all those nationalities have
the same native language. Lots of sniggering remarks are made about actors
who make it big in Hollywood but retain an accent from a non-English
speaking country, such as Austria.

Conversely, I know some German, Swiss, Italians get irritated by actors in
Hollywood films attempting to mimic non-English accents.

Fergus