Fuji documentary

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Tue Jan 6 13:25:17 EST 2004

New services reported that Fuji TV, a major force in the film industry
since the 1980s with such hits as Bayside Shakedown, has announced that
it will begin investing in production of documentaries for theatrical
release. With the success of Bowling for Columbine in Japan, as well as
good reception of Fuji TV's own TV documentaries, the company is hoping
to break open a new market there. The first production, based on story
already covered on TV, is called _Haha yo!_ is about the life of a
zainichi Korean woman.

We'll see what the end result is, but the announcement leaves me with
mixed feelings, either cringing over the prospect of Bayside-style
documentaries, or happy that at least some major corporate money is
being spent in this area.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html