Shuji Terayama

Andrew Grant andrew.grant2 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 14:45:52 EST 2004

One of the things that I'm struggling with is the sex scene in Emperor Tomato Ketchup (between the young boy and the grown women). How would one in Japan circa 1971 react to that scene? Did it carry the same taboo as it does today? Was the context of the scene more important and/or 'shocking' than the act itself?

I don't find the scene to be pornographic, but I'm sure there are many who would.

I am certainly not an expert in Japanese attitudes towards children and sexuality, but I was reminded of the scene in Realm of the Senses (removed from the US version) that has Sada grabbing the penis of a young boy.

Is there some significance that the scene is about a young boy with older women? Would a young girl - older men pairing somehow be more taboo, or would that be too "obvious" (for lack of a better word)?

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't child pornography legal at this time in parts of Europe? Were attitudes different then?

Sorry if these questions seem foolish. I want to be careful not to judge the film incorrectly.

I apologize if this is an inappropriate topic to discuss on the list.