Shuji Terayama

Boum Productions pete
Wed Jan 7 13:28:44 EST 2004

They showed in in cinemas in the UK too. I remember seeing them at the Electric in portobello road many many many (god! I'm getting old...) years ago.

There was also a knuckle rapping (but very informative) long letter from Tony Rayns in a past issue of Video Watchdog about Terayama. Maybe someone else can come up with the issue number.

I don't imagine the flag burning was ever intended to do anything BUT arouse controversy. I think the "kiddie sex" stuff in Emperor Tomato Ketchup would be more likely to offend thtese days, however

Pete

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: J.sharp
  To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 2:24 PM
  Subject: RE: Shuji Terayama

  Talking of English-speaking territories, UK viewers who can remember the "red-triangle" experiment of Channel Four in the early 80s, where films with more salacious content than that usually allowed by British broadcasting standards were screened at midnight on Friday night (before Mary Whitehouse protested that it attracted "sensation seekers") may remember seeing both To Die In The Country and Throw Away Your Books... screened on British TV around 1982. I  remember sneaking down once the parents were asleep myself, and thus had my first Terayama experience at the tender age of 12. Great stuff, but I'm not sure how the US flag-burning scenes of the latter would go down in the current Bush-led political climate of America at the moment.

  Jasper Sharp
  www.midnighteye.com

    You're right. Terayams's films are much too little seen in the US, and much
    too little has been written in English about them.

  Message sent using Hunter Point Online WebMail