Kinugasa at the National Film Centre, Japan

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Thu Jan 29 11:31:37 EST 2004

First, about 1928: Matsuda Eigasha has several films from 1928 listed
on their site:

Sakamoto Ryoma
Jitsuroku Chushingura
Horo zanmai
Kurama Tengu

All, I think, are available on video. Horo zanmai and Kurama Tengu are
must sees!

As for other Japanese films shown abroad, the answer depends on your
definition. Clearly, quite a number of Japanese films were distributed
abroad from early on in areas with large Japanese immigrant
populations. Then there were attempts to show films to non-Japanese as
well. Depending on what you mean by "widely" (it would be hard to say
that Jujiro itself was "distributed widely" since it only showed in a
couple of theaters in Europe), one noted attempt was Murata Minoru and
Mori Iwao taking Murata's _Machi no tejinashi_ (1925) to Europe and
showing it in a number of countries. I think this was before Jujiro and
I recall Kinugasa mentions it in his autobiography. The film was
received badly, by the way.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363