No subject

Linda Ehrlich lce2
Mon Jan 5 09:59:13 EST 2004

Dear Markus (and other KineJapan readers): I used to attend AAS--in fact,
I've organized a few film-related panels there. But I too grew discouraged
by the general lack of interest in film at that conference. That's the main
reason I no longer attend. Linda Ehrlich

At 11:19 AM 1/2/2004, you wrote:
>I noticed something very curious in the recent announcement of panels at
>our major conferences. SCMS (formerly SCS, the main academic conference
>for film and television studies) has three, count 'em, three panels on
>Japanese cinema, all stocked with Kinema Clubbers. This, despite the fact
>that it has been years since Japanese cinema has had a strong presence
>there. There are also a couple on Chinese cinema as well.
>
>On the other hand, I've only seen the panel titles in the newsletter, but
>I was surprised to find that film and television have virtually
>disappeared at AAS. I'm talking about the entire conference, every region.
>They seem to have been supplanted by "media" and "popular culture."
>
>This is a curious situation,  and it will be interesting to see what
>happens in the next year or two. Are the scholars populating these panels
>seeing SCMS as a more stimulating or accommodating space? Or are the
>organizations themselves expressing (something?) by their selections?
>
>One of many factors behind the organization of Kinema Club III at NYU was
>the rejection of a Japanese film panel by AAS. Any thoughts or comments?
>
>Markus
>

>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Here are the panels at SCMS (full schedule:
><http://www.cinemastudies.org/04conf/SCMS04Prelim.htm)>http://www.cinemastudies.org/04conf/SCMS04Prelim.htm).
>

>E2: Japanese Anime: History, Theory, and Practice
>
>Room: Birch
>
>Chair: Kumiko Sato (Earlham College)
>
>Steve Fore (City University of Hong Kong), "Realism, Hybridity, and the
>Question of Representation in Contemporary Animation"
>
>Eija Niskanen (University of Wisconsin, Madison), "Ghibli-The Last Film
>Studio in Japan"
>
>Satomi Saito (University of Iowa), "The Evolution of Anime
>Languages:  From 'moe-anime' to 'garu-ge'"
>
>Kumiko Sato (Earlham College), "Anime's Displacement Effect"
>
>5: Cultural Exchanges: Stars and National Identity
>
>Room: Maple B/C
>
>Chair: Daisuke Miyao (Columbia University)
>
>Hideaki Fujiki (University of Wisconsin, Madison/Nagoya University),
>"American Cinema Stars Reshaping Japanese Culture, 1914-1920"
>
>Misa Oyama (University of California, Berkeley), "The Secret Asian Man is
>No Longer a Secret: Sessue Hayakawa's Films After The Cheat "
>
>Daisuke Miyao (Columbia University), "Madame Butterfly to Ideal Wife:
>Exoticism, Americanization, Nationalism, and Tsuru Aoki's Silent Stardom"
>
>O8: Perverts, Politics, and Japanese Cinema
>
>Room: Hazelnut
>
>Chair: Jonathan M. Hall (University of California, Irvine)
>
>Akiko Mizoguchi (University of Rochester/National Film Center, Japan),
>"Gay Boom for Women?: Male Homosexual Films as Agents
>for  Homo-&Heterosexual Women in Japan"
>
>Hikari Hori (Gakushuin University, Tokyo), "Two Castration Narratives:
>Obscenity Trials, Directorship, and the Female Pornographer in  Japanese
>Film History"

> [...]

Linda C. Ehrlich
Associate Professor of Japanese, Comparative Literature,
   and Cinema
Associate Chair
Case Western Reserve University
Dept. of Modern Languages and Literatures
10900 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106-7118
Phone: (216) 368-2232/3071
FAX: (216) 368-2216