Kurosawa sues NHK

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow
Mon Jan 19 11:41:38 EST 2004

The news services reported that Kurosawa Hisao, son of the director
Kurosawa Akira, has sued the public television network NHK for
violating copyright of the Seven Samurai in the production of the NHK
taiga drama Musashi. Kurosawa asserts that the first episode of that
series included 11 elements, from a village hiring samurai to protect
itself from brigands, to the hero preparing swords by sticking them in
the ground, that strongly resemble the 1954 film. Kurosawa asserted
that such uses did not fall under the rubric of parody or homage and
thus is suing NHK for 154 million yen in damages and is asking the
court to prevent rebroadcast and production of DVDs or videos of the
series.

The press had already reported the significant similarities between the
two productions. NHK had already apologized to Kurosawa, but had
refused to pay damages.

This all reminds me of the case of Futarikko, the very popular NHK
morning drama from the mid 1990s which was very similar to Sakamoto
Junji's Ote in many ways. I remember Sakamoto telling me that NHK also
came to apologize to him over that, but he did not end up suing.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html