Japanese film in Indonesia?

zaki jaihutan zaki.j
Mon Jan 19 21:43:40 EST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:22:41 -0500, "Jean Pierre
Kellams" wrote:

> Im curious as to how many movies get a "real" release
> in Indonesia,
> versus how many are released grey market or pirated.
> Could you please
> shed some light on this Zaki?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JP Kellams

It's hard to say as a matter of exact statistic, not to
mention that i never really indulge myself in searching
for this piracy stuff. I understand from some of my
friends who have 'strong hobbies'  with this piracy
stuff, there are lots of Asian movies being pirated in
DVD...although the US movie still take the majority.
But it's hard to say whether the Japanese movie take
the leading role of being pirated, since there were
Korean and Hong kong movies, and sometimes my friend
just couldn't tell which one is which. However i think
that maybe...again maybe...the pirated stuff of the
Japanese movie are comparatively higher... I saw this
Japanese movie, it's title being translated into The
Yin and Yang Master, and my friend claims that he
already saw it in piracy dvd with Japanese title
Onmyoji. The same when i saw Dark Water, he claims that
he already saw it on another pirated dvd, and the same
with Versus.There were even several titles that he
mention that i cannot remember, that he claim he saw it
on pirated DVDs. I even heard about the Gilbi studio
production from him, even before our magazines here
make an article in regard to it.

However, the amount may be not so starking. There are
titles that were released in official DVD, that until
now cannot be obtain in Indonesian 'grey market'.

Zaki