Mainichi Concours

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow
Tue Jan 20 12:07:43 EST 2004

The results of the Mainichi Concours, one of the last of the big yearly
film awards, were announced:

Best Japanese Film: Akame Shijuyataki shinju misui
Best Director: Sai Yoichi
Best Screenplay: Nichikawa Miwa, Fukasaku Kenta, Kida Norio
Best Actor: Nishita Toshiyuki
Best Actress: Terajima Shinobu
Best Supporting Actor: Emoto Akira
Best Supporting Actress: Ogusu Michiyo
Best New Face Award: Onichi Ryujiro, Miyazako Hiroyuki, Nishikawa Miwa
Tanaka Kinuyo Award: Yachigusa Kaoru

Awards of Excellence in Japanese Film: Ashura no gotoku, Zatoichi, Spy
Sorge, Doppelganger
Best Cinematography: Kasamatsu Norimichi
Best Art Direction: Isomi Toshihiro
Best Music: Isoda Ken'ichiro
Best Sound: Shiratori Mitsugu
Best Technical Award: Watanabe Koichi
Best Documentary, Full Length: Konban wa
Best Documentary, Short: Ayanasu Shuri no orimono

Fan Award: Odoru daisosasen 2
Animation Award: Tokyo Godfathers
Ofuji Noburo Award: Kawamoto Kihachiro
Special Awards: Fukasaku Kinji, Kasamatsu Kazuo

Forgive me if I got any of the name reading wrong.

The Mainichi tends to be fairly conservative, but they are one of the
few major awards that also focuses on the technical staff and other
genres like documentary and animation. Ofuji Noburo is one of Japan's
great animators, and the award named after him commemorates some
significant contribution to the art of animation.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html