Who is the Last Samurai?

John Dougill dougill
Thu Jan 1 04:06:38 EST 2004

on 1/1/04 3:40 PM, mark schilling at 0934611501 at jcom.home.ne.jp wrote:
> It is, in fact, Algren's complicity with his own government's colonizing
> project -- and his commander's murderous execution of it -- that plunges him
> into the abyss.

Like Mark Schilling, I didn't read the film as Hollywood
colonialism/appropriation, but rather as post-sixties liberalism that posits
modern technological society as corrupt and evil: the killing of Native
Americans, and the killing of the samurai at the end reminded me not only of
Vietnam but of Iraq in terms of superior fire power mowing down the enemy...

Underlying the film is the kind of white man's guilt that fuelled Dances
with Wolves et al.  There also seemed a good dose of Braveheart in the
battle scenes, with the gallant little guys fighting against hopeless odds.
As another poster pointed out, the films are fired by the kind of sixties
romanticism that idealises the noble savage.  It speaks to the emptiness of
modern materialism in just the same way as Fight Club et al.

However, romanticism can often turn reacitonary in nature, and I believe
here is a case in point, despite Zwick's best intentions. Glorification of
the samurai's fighting spirit at this point in time seems to suit both the
Bush regime (military hegemony) and Koizumi's brand of LDP (military
expansionism and reclaiming of national pride).  Given that Japan is a key
ally/junior partner/servant of the US, the mutual affection of the film
seems timely, and the fact that Tom Cruise is able to teach the
emperor/Japanese at the end about their true spirit preserves the elder
brother relationship that seems to suit both cultures.  Japanese have told
me they came out of the film feeling proud of their heritage.  At the same
time the American fascination with samurai (Ghost Dog, Kill Bill, ninja)
helps to bond them with a key ally that may become a major focus in any
showdown with N. Korea.

The forthcoming NHK Taiga drama, Shinsengumi, is sure to take the
glorfication further.  The troup were little more than Tokugawa hitmen, but
the spin put on them is similar to that of the Last Samurai - heroic types
who died young upholding the heroic ideals of bushido.  Given the topic and
NHK's role, the themes of loyalty, duty, sacrifice, dedication, and the
acceptance of authority will no doubt feature strongly among the
sword-fighting.  In other words, samurai values repeddled for today?s
salaryman.  ?Loyalty and Patriotism? was the group?s recruiting slogan,
something the present-day LDP might have dreamed up with their drive for
flag-raising and anthem-singing.  At a time when Japanese troops are being
sent to Iraq, the samurai buddies will surely have the ?right? spirit and
give their all for their country...