Cutey Honey

Don Brown the8thsamurai
Fri Jun 11 03:51:25 EDT 2004

>Anno Hideaki's Cutey Honey just came out. I'm really curious about this
one.
>Instead of contrasting animation and live action like he did in
Evangelion,
>it seems Anno's trying to combine the two this time. Mark Schilling gave
it
>4/5 stars. Has anyone else seen it?

I caught it last week, in an empty theatre on Ladies' Day; apparently
everyone else in the multiplex was next door watching the hit weepy Sekai
no Chushin de Ai o Sakebu.
I can't say I'd rate Cutie Honey as highly as Mark, but if it had
maintained the momentum created by its highly enjoyable opening sequence it
could have been one of the films of the year. It's nowhere near as slick
and polished as Casshern - some scenes look as if they've been shot on
rather low grade DV, and the fantastic costumes and make-up work sometimes
don't bear up all that well under close scrutiny - but despite its
occasional cheapness, the film's Power Rangers-style spectacle is far more
fun to watch. The tone is nowhere near as lascivious as might have been
expected, in fact it's quite a wholesome outing, and Sato Eriko embodies
her character in every sense of the word. Naturally it tends to lag in the
parts where Cutie's not battling some costumed villain, but  at least
everyone looks like they're having a blast hamming it up.
Don Brown