Re-enactment & mise-en-scène in Japanese reality TV

David Putnam patonamu
Thu Jun 24 22:57:15 EDT 2004

>>Does anyone have a
>>sense where, when, how re-enactment and modelling acquired what seems to
>>be
>>their out-of-proportion presence? Do most of them, as my sense is, have to
>>do with managing fear in some way?

I remember that Maureen Turim in her book about "Nagisa Oshima's Films"
wrote something about reenactment, especially in the movie "Death by
hanging" where the rapist must (self-reflexively)reenact his rape in front
of the prison-keepers...

You can see re-enactment on Japanese TV everyday, from short satirical
sketches about everyday life to impersonations of famous (enka) singers or
(yakuza) actors. The Japanese are just childish and theatrical by
nature...(What I miss is a (ridiculizing) impersonator of Koizumi though)