Re-enactment & mise-en-scène in Japanese reality TV

Alice V. Massa kingyo02
Sun Jun 27 22:17:30 EDT 2004

i don't think the re enactment is so frequent just because japanese are
childish and theatrical (though this may plaly its part), i would go for the
way they have of managing fear.  in japanese tv the main part of re
enactment are the ones of accidents, killings and so on. there are also just
the computer run     reproduction of an event (just think about how many
times on japanese tv they showed digital twin towers fall, or just this
morning the 2year old child who fell from the escalator). so i think it's a
kind of way of exorcizing fear, to live it again and let it go or something
like that. i think it's something very near to the reason why we watch
horror films. by the way, there are lots of re enactments with american
actors, dubbed in japanese. does it means re enactment are popular in us
too?
then there are the animated re enactment (like the wednesday night trivia
ones), but i think this has more to do with the manga culture...

alice

ps: markus, did you see the following week the salaryman who died because he
didn't have his cavity filled? that was really scary...