subtitling

David Blair blair at telepathic-movie.org
Thu Mar 4 06:30:48 EST 2004

there are several directions, and assuming a low budget approach:

working with DVDs or predigitized material, on the PC, there is a huge
range of free software which handles subtitling and sound... in fact it is
a confusing mass, but with several standouts. A good hobby site is
www.doom9.org

If you work with a mac, then of course iMovie [for DV] and the editing
capacities of Quicktime Pro [good with quicktime, but no good with avi or
mpeg formats] are good simple cheap solutions. It is easy to add an extra
sound track, or import a text file to make subtitles, in QTPro... check the
tutorials in the Quicktime section at Apple's site.

on the PC, it is relatively easy to digitize VHS tapes these days with
external boxes or what they call "PVR"s, as internal cards... in fact many
3d graphics cards sold now have the added capacity to digitize video from a
VHS.  All come bundled with simple editing software with gaudy interfaces
that do the trick. You would be editing mpeg or avi.

video is not rocket science, but it is still confusing.

David