Are These Shimizu's Films

Roland Domenig roland.domenig
Wed Mar 10 03:33:07 EST 2004

yes, both films (or all three if you wnat) were directed by shimizu hiroshi..
the first one, NANATSU NO UMI SHOJO-HEN (part one) and NANATSU NO UMI
TEISO-HEN (part two), is based on a novel by the then very popular writer
maki itsuma, and was shot in 1931. part 1 was released in december 1931,
part 2 followed in march 1932.
the correct title of the second film is NAKINURETA HARU NO ONNA YO. it was
shimizu's 86th film and his first 'talkie', i.e. complete sound film (he had
experienced with sound in previous films, but he didn't use sound throughout
the films). the film was released in june 1933.
both films were made for shochiku's kamata-studios.

roland domenig
institute of east asian studies
vienna university