Sakuragraph small-format films (J + E)

Mark Nornes amnornes
Mon May 31 22:42:41 EDT 2004

On Jun 1, 2004, at 5:29 AM, Roland Domenig wrote:

>> What's the title of a reputable small-format-film-specialty magazine
>> or journal?

There were a few more magazines than the ones Roland mentions:

  ?????? / ??????????? [?] circa 1930

  ?????? / ??????????? [?] circa 1930

  ???? / ???????? [?] 1929

If I remember correctly, the latter two are the more substantial
magazines.

There are also a number of books. Of these, the Nishimura book is
probably the best (of the ones I've actually looked at. Books and
journals about "kyoiku eiga" are also filled with this stuff.

  ????? / by Iwao Mori [???] ; ????,???? ??
?? : ??????, 1931.6

  ???? / ???? ?
?? : ????, 1941.2

  ??????? / ?????,??? ?
?? : ???, 1932.1

  ??????? / ?????,??? ?
?? : ???, 1930.4

  ??????? / ???? ?
?? : ???, 1931.10

  ?????????? / ???? ?
?? : ???, 1930.10

  ???? : ????? / ???? ?
?? : ????, 1941.12

There are basically a number of ways that the small format films were
being used before the war. There were libraries held by private
distributors or schools/universities. Some of these were domestically
produced (by companies like Yokohama Cinema) and others that were
bought whole from Europe or America. Then there were small-format
feature films that you could purchase, probably the predecessor of the
video tape.

At the same time, the cameras and projectors were for sale. They were
expensive, so they were basically a plaything for the wealthy. These
journals were mostly oriented toward them. The films they shot were
either home movies or attempts at amateur fiction or experimental
films. Throughout the 1930s, and probably to the present-day, there
were competitions for these people. In the 1930s, the competitions were
part of a global phenomenon, and you'll find articles and announcements
in the magazines about who won an award somewhere in the world.

The small-gauge formats were appropriated by Prokino for the creation
and projection of social movement films. There is a lot of overlap with
the previous group. In their competitions, the amateur filmmakers often
invited Prokino types to be jury members. There are many articles on
small-gauge filmmaking in the Prokino journals and books (by the way,
I'll be putting many of them online in a few weeks; keep your eye out).

I suspect that because of Prokino's visibility and publication
activities, and partly because they were part of the movie fan base,
mainstream publications published a lot about the "baby cinema" boom.
In the late 1920s and 1930s, maybe longer, Kinema Junpo had a regular
column about it.

Finally, Nada has a series of nice articles in Fs about the history of
small gauge filmmaking. (See my doc book for the bibliographic