Variety on THE GRUDGE remake

Joseph Murphy urj7 at ufl.edu
Wed Nov 3 15:37:39 EST 2004

There was a more favorable discussion of The Grudge in a NY Times
article this weekend by Terrence Rafferty called "Be Somewhat Afraid,"
which in general traced what it found to be a trend of diluting the
impact of horror with conventions from action and comedy.
    "the only movie currently serving up an adequate portion of the
genre's traditional red meat is Takashi Shimizu's "The Grudge,"
<http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/titlelist.html?v_idlist=292156;301035&inline=nyt_ttl>
an English-language remake of his 2000 film, "Ju-On," which is as
unnerving a horror movie as I've ever seen."
Not that long of a discussion, can be found at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/31/movies/31raff.html?pagewanted=2&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1099513933-iwh9RH+hK49HY8goJ5zUeg
J. Murphy