Variety on THE GRUDGE remake

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary at mac.com
Thu Nov 4 05:09:12 EST 2004

THE GRUDGE (US) opened in Taipei last weekend.  It only took US$55,000
on opening weekend.  I don't have the opening box office figures for
JU-ON but it made US$1m in the capital; the sequel about US$450,000.
In comparison, Miike Takashi's ONE MISSED CALL opened to US$235,000 in
March 2004 and grossed US$627,000.

I think audiences in Taiwan wanted more from the JUON series (in terms
of narrative) and didn't go back.  Taiwan audiences are very smart; if
they don't want to see a film, no amount of marketing can persuade
them.  All three versions of THE GRUDGE, and ONE MISSED CALL, were
distributed by UIP, a major.

Next weekend, 12-14 November, Sai Yoichi's QUILL goes head-to-head with
THE INCREDIBLES which has been pushed back by one week, although it
does have extensive previews this weekend.  The little fluffy dog is
everywhere in Taiwan, in what must be one of the biggest marketing
campaigns for a Japanese film.  It's handled by a small distributor who
picked it up before the majors had it on their radars; so I'm hoping it
makes a lot of money.

Stephen