Howl's Moving Castle / Takakura Ken in Zhang Yimou's next flick

Don Brown the8thsamurai at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 19:46:07 EST 2004

The new Miyazaki Hayao film "Howl's Moving Castle" was released in Japan
last weekend, and has already broken the domestic record for opening box
office (previously held by last year's Bayside Shakedown 2). No surprises
there. It's currently playing on three screens at my local multiplex, and
is easily selling out at every screening.
That said, a lot of people in the audience seemed to be scratching their
heads in confusion afterwards, myself included. I found it to be quite a
disappointment: disjointed, unfocused and worst of all unmemorable, which
certainly came as a shock considering the previously reliable quality of
Miyazaki's work. Has anyone else seen it yet?

Elsewhere, Takakura Ken is currently in China's Yunnan province for the
shooting of Zhang Yimou's next film, Qian Li Zou Dan Ji. Apparently the two
have been friends for over 10 years. Here's a couple of stories about it.
http://www.china.org.cn/english/Life/112627.htm
http://www.sanspo.com/geino/top/gt200411/gt2004112308.html