Howl's Moving Castle

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Tue Nov 23 04:53:58 EST 2004

I went on opening night in Yurakucho, where it was packed with all
sorts of people (except kids, interestingly enough). I have to second
Don's impression. I found it mystifying, if beautiful. I quizzed the
Japanese person I went with afterwards, thinking I just didn't catch
important plot points. She tried unsuccessfully to describe the story,
and gave up with a, "It's about Love." OK. Got that much. There are
moments when his use of computer graphics is particularly striking, and
almost experimental. But there weren't enough of them to make up for
the stasis. I love slow, patient narratives; this one just felt lost.
However, every few minutes it still makes you gasp at the imagination
of the guy.

Markus