Rokuga Net

drainer at mpinet.net drainer at mpinet.net
Tue Oct 12 20:25:12 EDT 2004

 A few years ago there was a similar service offered for Brazilian
expatriates living in America. This was before the advent of Tivo or
compression such as DiVX, so the copying was limited to tape. The premise
was that the organizers recorded the week's events from Globo
broadcasting -- prime time news, variety shows (specials), the weekend news
program, and the major drama of the week. They also made special tapes with
only drama series (novelas). The distribution was initially held through
restaurants, small shops, cafes, and the like, and the tapes were acquired
by the casual viewer through rental.

It proved to be a good idea and the demand was high, to the point where the
organizers even started to add their own little news program to the tapes
and relied on the advertising of local businesses. Once word got out to
Globo they immediately sought to seize control of the production and took it
upon themselves to charge distribution fees and other assessments to the
producers of these tapes. The system lived on for another year, until Globo
established a channel on Dish Network (they had been speculating the idea
and this was the confirmation that they needed), with another Brazilian
broadcaster following their path.

I bring this up because if Rokuga has attracted enough attention to be
brought in court then maybe NHK and the other networks should take a look at
their earning potential through licensing and distributorship rights. It
might drive Rokuga out of business, but in the long run, it can benefit the
customers, as it could possibly bring about a better line up in programming
overseas. The NHK lineup in America (offered through Dish Network) currently
costs $25 a month.

-da