Puffy Cartoon

ander025 ander025 at umn.edu
Sat Oct 23 11:26:43 EDT 2004

I don't know anything about this anime, but as a pop group, one of the
distinguishing marks of Puffy is that they ARE NOT an idol band or
particularly kawaii. They have rather cultivated an "alternative" image of
sorts. Certainly an anti-glamor, anti-idol look. They generally wear jeans
and T-shirts or sweatshirts and often look as if they aren't even wearing
makeup.

They don't play the "I'm so cute" game, they speak to the press fairly
directly, and all of their material is written by one very talented writer
and producer for whom they are his main vehicle (He's quite influenced by
the Beatles and alternative US pop over the last 15 years).

Of course, the relation of the Beatles and the Jackson Five to their
cartoon properties was also pretty remote. It won't be too surprising if
the same is the case here.