Chihiro compromises in court

Don Brown the8thsamurai at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 11 20:20:23 EDT 2004

>This is just bizarre. You expect this kind of thing in a sue happy
>country like the US. Anywhere else you'd just call this
>pathological.

The DVD was obviously way out of whack though, and in my opinion the
plaintiffs were fully justified in their suit. The responses of Buena
Vista, and Studio Ghibli for that matter, to complaints about their product
were highly unsatisfactory and well reported in the media. Ghibli even
denied that the color correction was faulty, and the only solution offered
was adjusting the picture settings of your TV. Considering how many copies
were sold of what was one of the most highly anticipated DVDs of all time
here, the defendants hardly bent over backwards to assuage their thousands
of dissatisfied customers.

Personally, I'd like to see the majority of Japanese DVD producers sued for
failing to include even Japanese subtitles on a large number of their
releases, and then having the gall to charge 5,000 yen for the privilege of
owning them. Asian bootleggers must be extremely grateful for all the
business opportunities created for them by nearsighted Japanese studios.
Don Brown