Dare Mo Shiranai

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow
Sun Sep 12 14:29:31 EDT 2004

I'm not in Japan right now, so I can't say for sure, but I can offer
two speculations:

1) This was not the copy of Dare mo shiranai the movie, but rather of
some promotional or "making" video related to the film (I sometimes go
to video rental places and see what initially looks like the video of a
film currently in theaters, but then see on closer inspection that it's
some promotional work). This is usually the case only with big budget
films, but since there is no mention of "rentail kaishi" on the Dare mo
shiranai site or on Koreeda's site, I would bet this is what it is.

2) There's a small chance that the date for the video version was
already set before the film was released and the film ended up running
longer than they expected, bumping into the release date.

Again, I suspect the first.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363