digital use plus technical question

Stian =%ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F8dven?= Eide julipan at broadpark.no
Sun Aug 7 10:37:40 EDT 2005

> I know there is so-called "ripping" software to extract DVD material and copy it to another DVD, but I don't know which kind is any good, or if such software can extract clips from multiple regions, namely Regions 1 and 2, in NTSC and sometimes PAL, which will all be showable on one DVD.

At www.doom9.org you can find a lot of free (as in no charge) Windows
tools for extracting video from DVD's. DVD-Decrypter is especially
popular.
If you use a Free (as in Freedom) operating system like GNU/Linux, there
is a great program called DVD:Rip (http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/)

> I don't know whether PC or MAC is better for this purpose either.

Both PC's and MAC's can run a Free operating system. (I recommend Ubuntu
GNU/Linux which can be found at www.ubuntu.com)
The doom9 website has only got tools for the Windows operating system,
but most of them can also be run on GNU/Linux using WINE
(www.winehq.com)
I know of no such tools specifically for the MAC OS.

Stian