Inquiry Concerning Japanese Remakes of American Films

MileFilms@aol.com MileFilms
Thu Aug 25 17:43:23 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/25/05 5:37:18 PM, desser at uiuc.edu writes:

> >I will be giving a comparative lecture on American remakes of Japanese
> >films soon, and am writing it up now. I have quite a lot of information on
> >this subject, from the present and the past, but as a comparison I tried to
> >think of significant Japanese remakes of American films, and came up with
> >little.

An odd one that we came across while doing our Age of Exploration series.
Kurosawa says that he based Mifune's character in Rashomon on the lions in Martin
and Osa Johnson's SIMBA (1927). Not significant, but fun.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (201) 767-3117 or (800) 603-1104 (in the US)
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms at aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com