Japanese Films in archives?

J.sharp j.sharp at hpo.net
Mon Dec 5 16:08:12 EST 2005

I am not sure if this is the question you are asking, but the British Film
Institute archive in London has a print of Kinugasa's A PAGE OF MADNESS, and
his subsequent attempt at bringing a European avant-garde style to Japanese
cinema, the  German Expressionism influenced (and more interesting in my
opinion) CROSSROADS (JUJIRO).

Early Japanese animation is in the Japanese National Film Archive, but they
are very selective about who they let see anything.

Best,

Jasper Sharp

--
Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

===

Available now in bookstores everywhere:
The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film (Stone Bridge Press)
by Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
http://www.midnighteye.com/features/midnighteye_guide.shtml
"Easily one of the most important books on Japanese cinema ever released in
English."
- Newtype USA