fukubukuro and Japanese envying "JAPAN"

Kerim Yasar kerimyasar at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 13:52:47 EST 2005

Vanity film production! If it had to happen somewhere,
I guess it had to be in Japan.

As ludicrous as it sounds on the face of it, in the
right hands I can imagine this yielding an interesting
film.  What if Iwasaki Mineko coughs up the ichi-oku
and has her life story made, a kind of "ANTI-SAYURI,"
if you will? Even in the wrong hands, the result may
be a masterpiece of unintentional hilarity.

Speaking of SAYURI, I just returned a few days ago
from Japan, where I saw the advertising slogan for the
film:

 ¥Ë¥Ã¥Ý¥ó¤¬¼»Åʤ¹¤ëJAPAN (Nippon ga shitto suru
"JAPAN"--"The "JAPAN" that Japan envies").

This has to be one of the most mind-bending slogans
for a film I've ever seen.  You have the vaguely
nationalistic phonetic rendering of the aggressively
plosive "Nippon" combined with a sentiment that is
auto-orientalist and self-abasing at the same time.
This bizarre combination of paradox and calculated
orthography  somehow seems to encapsulate Japan's
tense and complex relationship with the West and the
West's respresentations of Japan by being as tortured
as that relationship itself.

Kerim Yasar