English speakers generally do not understand Japanese

Stefan Nutz / Nuzumakifilms nuzumaki
Wed Dec 7 12:40:57 EST 2005

referring to Korean cinema:

I was talking about R3 Korean DVD versions (of Korean films), which all
include eng. subtitels. Take for example Park's Sympathy for Mr(s).
Vengeance, it will be released WITH english subtitles, due to the fact, that
this is could be internationally the most succesful Korean film in years.
Why do they release it with subtitels? Is it an unsaid rule that every
Korean DVD company has to follow? An economic rule?
I think many distributors (like here in Europe and Germany) first have to
actually watch the Film and wait for fan-response, before they buy it. If
the film gets good reputations, they pick it up, put subs on the interviews,
special package and call it ultra-limited-collectors edition- and many will
buy it again.
Korean film is easy to get and watch, and more easy to sell.

In 2004 KOFIC supported the release of independent short and feature-length
films on DVD, in order to expand the market for these commercially
disadvantaged works. Twice a year, KOFIC supports the release of 10 discs
through a commercial DVD distributor (2000 copies per release). Each disc
will be subtitled in Korean, and English.

Stefan Nutz