Inugoe: Yet another dog movie

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary
Sat Dec 17 02:00:11 EST 2005

Follow the money.  QUILL made US$18m in Japan and did great overseas:
US$1.2m in Taipei (perhaps double that in Taiwan as a whole), another
US$1.8m in Hong Kong.

But in Taiwan at least there's been diminishing returns: ALL ABOUT MY
DOG and GOODBYE, KURO combined did less than 10% of the box office of
QUILL.  Taiwan, a pet-loving nation, had its fill of dog movies in
QUILL and has moved on to films with other animals including
penguins, foxes, hippos, etc.  (Elephants didn't working out so well
with SHINING BOY AND LITTLE RANDY making only US$30,000 in Taipei,
but that's because audiences seemed to think it was a Thai film and
not a Japanese movie.)

So, I guess Japanese producers think there's still money to be made.
But perhaps the dog has had its day at the box office.

Stephen