Question: PBS Japanese Film Series

Bernardi-Buralli dburall1
Mon Dec 26 01:24:39 EST 2005

Dear Sybil,

The series I remember was "The Business of Understanding Japan and the
United States in Today's World: as seen through THE JAPANESE FILM"--not that
I remember that long title! BUt at some point I was given the pamphlet that
accompanied the series and I have it in front of me, copyright 1974. The
host was Edwin Reischauer. Donald Richie told me that the "special guests"
were "Ed's friends, basically:" they are listed in the catalog as Toshiro
Mifune (SANJURO), Howard Hibbett (UGETSU, HARP OF BURMA), Donald Keene
(DOUBLE SUICIDE), Ivan Morris (HARAKIRI), Donald Richie (BOY), Ed
Seidensticker (NIGHT DRUM, IKIRU), HIdeko Takamine and Seidensticker (WHEN A
WOMAN ASCENDS THE STAIRS), Geoge De Vos, Richie (SHANSHO THE BAILIFF),
George De Vos, Kazuko Tsurumi (TWENTY FOUR EYES), George De Vos (GATE OF
HELL) and Kazuko Tsurumi (EARLY SUMMER).

I seem to remember it was broadcast in the fall (at least where/when I saw
it, Kansas City, Mo.), but there's no broadcast info in the pamphlet
regarding broadcast specifics. Pamphlet was put out by Pacific Film Archive
with NY Japan Society, produced by KQED San Francisco, author Michael
Berger. Reischauer, Richie and De Vos are listed as "senior consultants."

I hope this helps, if it is the series you mean.

best

Joanne Bernardi
U Rochester