"The Glamorous Life of Sachiko Hanai" at Pole Pole

Jim Harper jimharper666
Sun Dec 4 16:51:00 EST 2005

I don't know if that's what you're referring to Aaron, but much of the material in the recent Edinburgh University book on Japanese horror falls firmly into the latter category. It's hard to find any enthusiasm for the films being discussed in many of the essays, a common symptom of works that heavily favour the analytical approach.

  I think it's definitely possible to find a path between the two extremes, although I suspect my own work leans a little too closely to your first category. Books on Japanese horror are still pretty scarce, but I think Pete Tombs' 'Mondo Macabro' manages to successfully combine both approaches; it's just a shame that he wasn't able to devote an entire book to the subject!

  Jim Harper.

Aaron Gerow <gerowaaron at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  This is still a problem with studies of Japanese film genres like
anime, horror or action: the tendency to still use rather old notions
of film art and auteurism to look at genre films, thus ignoring the
entire problem of popular genre. Then there's the problem that those
who avoid that trap tend to fall into another one: studying genre film
through a purely reductionist model that reduces every film to some
socio-political or psycho-cultural pattern, thus utterly ignoring
what's particularly cinematic about them (much written on recent
Japanese horror film falls into this trap). How do we weave our way
between these two traps?

http://www.flipsidemovies.com
http://jimharper.blogspot.com