NHK and LDP politicians

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow
Wed Jan 12 11:08:46 EST 2005

Since the subject of NHK came up recently, I thought I should report on
the most recent scandal. It is actually a continuation of a problem
that was reported some time ago on KineJapan. Back in 2000, when a
network international organizations decided to hold a international
tribunal on war crimes committed by Japan against women during WWII,
NHK produced a show on the topic, including interviews with the major
participants. However, only days before the show was broadcast, NHK
suddenly changed the content, cutting out interviews with participants
and adding biased comments by known right-wing revisionists, basically
declaring that Japan committed no war crimes against women. A summary
of the incident is available.

http://www1.jca.apc.org/vaww-net-japan/english/backlash/
mediasabotage.html

NHK is being sued over the incident.

Well, it has just come out that two major LDP politicians, including
the popular Abe Shinzo, had phoned NHK just before the program was
re-cut to tell NHK that it should be more "neutral" in their stance
(read: should not give air to criticisms of Japan). Opposition
politicians are livid about an apparent case of political manipulation
of NHK content.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html