Self-introduction, and a request for suggestions

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Wed Mar 16 19:03:13 EST 2005

Re; The Earthquake.

Alex Bates is writing a dissertation on the earthquake, and I remember
him telling me some time ago that there sending postcards showing the
devastation was a big deal back then. In fact, I was just in Jinbocho
(the area for used book stores in Japan) yesterday and stumbled across
a stash of several hundred of these postcards. They're pretty stunning.

This store had thousands of prewar postcards of Japanese scenes. Of
course, it a specific kind of packaging designed for tourism.

Markus