Ito Daisuke query

William Gardner wgardne1 at swarthmore.edu
Wed Mar 16 23:01:32 EST 2005

I've read the posts on the Great Kanto Earthquake, the modern girl, etc.,
with interest. Among films that are fairly widely available, I would also
recommend to Irene Mizoguchi's Naniwa Ereji (Osaka Elegy, 1936) for its
depiction of the Modern Girl, although the setting is obviously Osaka rather
than Tokyo.

Changing the subject to period films of this era, does anyone know if it is
possible to view or obtain a copy of Ito Daisuke's acclaimed Chiji tabi
nikki (A Diary of Chiji's Travels, 1927)? I understand that copies of part 3
and some of part 2 of this trilogy were rediscovered in 1991, and brief
excerpts, if I remember correctly, were featured in Oshima's 100 Years of
Japanese Cinema.

Could this be something that we might screen at the Tokyo Kinema Club
meeting?

Best,
Will Gardner