History

John Winter john_winter_2005
Sun Mar 13 08:18:23 EST 2005

Hi, I've just joined the list and am an amateur film buff interested in Japanese cinema.  Can anyone tell me of good histories of Japanese cinema and some guidance in regard to the Japanese language?  I only speak European languages but have learnt a little Korean from a book and a student I tutored.  From what I could see Korean was more or less an invented language, a combination of Japanese vocabulary and Chinese grammar.  I also read that it was an agglutenated language like Turkish or Persian, inserting vowels instead of cases as in an inflected language.  Can anyone tell me more about the Japanese language (and other South Asian languages) or tell me of good books to read on the subject?

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Roth