manga eiga ron

M Arnold ma_iku at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:22:12 EST 2005

The Ghibli issue of Manga eigaron is now out. I picked up a copy over the
weekend. Comparing it to the 1992 Iwanami issue, it looks like the contents
are all the same with two short additions at the end: a timeline of
Imamura's life and a thirteen page essay by Takahata Isao, "Imamura Taihei
kara eta mono."

After my last post, I was asked to elaborate on my "mixed feelings"
regarding Ghibli's reprint of the book. I think the main ingredient in that
mix is my impression that in the last several years, Ghibli has been taking
on increasing authority as a sort of representative or guardian of (or dare
I say, homogenizing force in) the Japanese animation community. As much as I
like Takahata's films, I am becoming a little weary of his speeches and
publications on anime's cultural roots, or which parts of Japanese animation
history are significant, etc. In this case I'd rather ignore the Ghibli
endorsement and see what kind of challenges Imamura's work can pose against
Ghibli anime discourse.

When I grabbed Manga eigaron I stumbled across another new anime related
book--"'Japanimeshon' wa naze yabureru ka" by Otsuka Eiji and Osawa Nobuaki,
released earlier this month by Kadokawa. I've only started to look at it,
but the book flatly denies any kind of unique "cultural" basis for Japanese
animation, turning to Disney for the introduction of "kyarakuta" and manga
culture in Japan and arguing that "Japanese anime/manga is essentially a
sub-species [ashu] of the 'Disney style' [of animation/comics] that was
transplanted into Japan, and the internationality of contemporary
Japanimation represents nothing more than the repossession of this
sub-species--which was raised in Japan over the last several decades--by the
suzerain state . . . " "The internationality and universality of Japanese
comics is the internationality and universality of Disney, which we received
twice; before the war and during the Occupation. . . ."

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/book/bk_search.php?pcd=200507000113

Michael Arnold