children consuming electronic technology in Japanese films?

Jim Harper jimharper666
Mon Nov 21 06:30:41 EST 2005

What's the age limit here Greg, if you don't mind me asking? Depending on the ages, off the top of my head I can think of teenagers using karaoke machines in 'Marronnier', schoolchildren playing videogames in the arcade in 'Kokkuri', scenes of children using the internet in 'Suicide Circle', games console use in the home in 'Eko Eko Azarak II' (aka 'Birth of the Wizard'), plus the endless cellphone scenes from films like 'One Missed Call'. Does the use of a laptop to hack into the network in 'Battle Royale' count?

  Jim Harper.

Greg Johnson <gsjohnson at otsuma.ac.jp> wrote:
  Would anybody have suggestions for film images of Japanese children using electronic stuff, particularly as entertainment?  Ozu?s Ohayo on television & Nakata?s Ringu for video come to mind.  There are scenes in Koreeda?s Daremo shiranai at a game parlor and with a TV game. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Greg Johnson
Comparative Culture
Otsuma Women?s University
Tokyo