The Sun

mark schilling schill at gol.com
Wed Oct 5 12:43:19 EDT 2005

Jasper asks if Sokurov's The Sun will get a Japanese release. A outfit named
Kabocha -- unknown to me -- bought the Japan rights from The Works, a UK
sales company, just before Toronto. At the time Kabocha said they planned to
release later this year or early in 2006.

As for the Romanization "Issey" instead of "Issei" -- I say it's his name
and thus his choice. Sometimes it's hard to tell if a Japanese actor really
wants a "non-standard" Romanization for his name, but Ogata has been using
"Issey" for years, so we can assume it's his idea, not that of a former
English major in the kokusaibu.

If Mick Jagger's girlfriend can get away with spelling her first name
"L'Wren" (which is quite clever actually), why not Ogata with "Issey"?

M'Arc Schilling