Names

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 7 10:48:38 EDT 2005

I'm not sure I accept that explanation of why Japanese prefer to give their names in Western order in translation. Surely it's got a lot to do with the characteristic Japanese anxiety that foreigners won't understand Japanese things unless these things are very carefully explained or packaged specifically for their benefit. This could be taken as patronising, but it can be taken as a very positive thing - the Japanese have, historically, been polite enough to reverse their name order so that Westerners are more likely to understand which name is a family name and which a personal name.

Thirty years ago, Western name order was more or less universal in English-language writing about Japan; thus, everyone understood the convention. Granted, writers on Korea and Japan have always (as far as I know) preserved native order, but this didn't matter much as everyone knew the conventions for romanising different languages. But now, with Japanese, every writer and each editor chooses his or her own style with scope for endless confusion. Personally I've always adhered to Western name order in writing, but my next article (about Shimizu's Ornamental Hairpin/Kanzashi) will appear in a book which has opted for Japanese order, thus writers can't guarantee consistency even in their own work. I suppose it would be sensible if we all agreed on which convention we're going to follow, but I'm not sure who's going to make that decision!

Enough of that from me. Anyone else on this list going to be seeing Japanese silent films at Pordenone this week?

ALEX

Aaron Gerow <aaron.gerow at yale.edu> wrote:
The discussion on names and romanizations has been interesting.

Certainly, I think we all agree that if an artist insists on a
particular name, that in many cases should be respected (though I think
there are exceptions). If an artist wants to call himself Ignatz
Ratskiwatski, let him do it. I thus have no problems with Sabu calling
himself Sabu (though he should be prepared to be occasionally confused
with the actor by the same name).

The problem, however, is not artists picking their own names, but their
deciding that their name should be one way in one place and another way
in another place. Sabu is standard romanization so it doesn't have this
problem. Artists should know that once they decide to essentially
create arbitrary rules covering creating multiple names in varying
situations--rules that they can never count on people knowing--they are
headed for problems.

My point is that artists should be fully aware of what they are getting
into when they do that. Some are not and that is a shame. If possible,
I would like to educate them on this. But it is certainly a complicated
issue and there may not be one solution.

While I already stated many of the reasons to avoid such names, there
are certainly exceptions, and Mark Schilling came up with one with
Jo-san (though that is a rare case). But what do you do when your
publication prints names in Japanese order? Do you have to do it Iida
George and Shishido Joe? That just looks bad and can confuse the reader
over what name order you are using, since these are such Westernized
names. Perhaps we can say that once you render names in Japanese name
order, all these Westernized versions should be dropped because, in the
end, they were made precisely for Westernized name order.

Then there is the big problem of knowing whether the artist has really
decided on this name. Frankly, many of the aberrant names floating
around out there are NOT the product of the artist's choice, but of
ignorance in the sendenbu or on the part of over-eager fans using the
IMDb. That poses a problem: do you go with this name, thus perpetuating
a possible mistake, or do you try to confirm it with every single
artist, which is a colossal task, especially when you get down to third
AD in the credits list? As an editor, my inclination is simply to go
with standard romanization, especially if that already exists in other
reliable sources. One can talk from the luxury of personally knowing
how a director wants to render a name, but when you are an editor
preparing full film credits for publication, or making a database, such
luxury does not exist. In those cases, standard romanization is the
ONLY sane solution. That is why libraries around the world will only
use standard romanization. Artists who want an aberrant name should
know they are facing this problem when they choose it (and, again, most
don't).

Another issue, mentioned by another post, is pronunciation. Clearly,
some artists pick aberrant versions because they think their name is
being mis-pronounced in the standard romanization. Other romanization
systems exist (such as Koh or Saitoh) in order to hopefully correct
these problems. I've even seen Japanese TV shows try to confront this
issue. I certainly sympathize with that problem, but this again is the
advice I would give. First, romanization systems always retain an
element of arbitrariness. Especially when you are going from one
linguistic system to another, you cannot rely on romanization to
naturally reflect all the sounds in the original. Sometimes, you just
have to rely on spreading knowledge of the rules or, in rare cases,
modifying the romanization system. (The system currently used
throughout much of the world, modified Hepburn, was changed for this
reason: thus it is now shinbun, not shimbun.) There are still
complaints: why not render "ra ri ru re ro" as "la li lu le lo," if it
seems closer? But some of the solutions are in fact no solution.
Consider Kudo Yuki, who renders her name Youki Kudoh in English. She
probably was sick of hearing people call her Yucky, so she rendered it
this way. But I bet she now gets people calling her Yowky. Again, it is
her choice, but I still wish artists had more knowledge before they
made these choices.

A final note about colonialism. Jason may have a point that insisting
that Japanese remain pure to their names can be a kind of asymmetrical
multiculturalism. There can be a problem of some Westerners imposing a
purity on Japanese that some do not want. This would certainly be the
case if a library refused to use TM-Revolution to catalog that singer's
CDs (though I don't think any library would ever do that). There is
also the problem of the Japanese side. Markus asked why even
officialdom seems to be moving to Japanese name order, and I would bet
it has something to do with revived Japanese nationalism.

But I think it is clear that the long standing penchant in Japan for
Westernized name order or Westernized names was historically the
product both of self-colonialization (internalizing the Western gaze)
and their own colonialist ventures (rendering themselves more Western
precisely to assume the leadership role in Asia). While the switch to
Japanese name order or dropping of Westernized names is not
unambiguous, at least in this respect, I think it is a good thing.

Sorry for the long post.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363