requesting permission to reproduce images

Melek Ortabasi mortabas at hamilton.edu
Wed Oct 12 10:53:12 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I've been on the list for some time, but haven't introduced myself. I
figured it would be good manners to do so before I asked for help! I
teach Comparative Lit. at Hamilton College in upstate NY (my
specialty is modern Japanese lit), but I've had an interest in film
ever since grad school. Find a (somewhat outdated, sorry) version of
my CV at
http://academics.hamilton.edu/comparative%5Fliterature/mortabas/.

I have two copyright-related questions:

1. I am seeking permission to use a Meiji-period photo that I found
in the Nagasaki Library Old Picture Database
(http://oldphoto.lb.nagasaki-u.ac.jp/unive/) for the cover of a book
(academic press, not trade).What I really need is a form letter in
Japanese requesting permission. I thought that before I slave over
writing something that I don't really know about, I would ask if
anyone had a basic form letter they were willing to share.

2. I am currently writing an article on Kon Satoshi's _Millennium
Actress_ to be included in an anthology forthcoming from a trade
press. Would I need to contact Mad House for permission to use frame
grabs, or could I just talk to Dreamworks (Go Fish)? If I need to go
to Japan on this, does anyone have any advice/help?

I'm new to this! Any help would be appreciated. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

Best,
--
Melek Ortabasi
Assistant Professor