Searching for Geisha film dvds

Matthew H. Bernstein mbernst at emory.edu
Mon Aug 14 09:55:21 EDT 2006

Can anyone tell me of a vendor of dvds (any region) of Japanese films with English subtitles? Especially the Mizoguchi and the Naruse and the Shindo?

I'll be in the Los Angeles area later this week.  Perhaps there is a specialty store in the area?

Nihonbashi by Ichikawa

Flowing, Nagareru 1956

Woman of Rumor (Mizoguchi)

Women are Born Twice

Gion Festival Music (Mizoguchi)

Clothes of Deception (Yoshimura, 1951)
Epitome (Kaneto Shindo, 1953)

Growing Up (Heinosuke Gosho, 1955)

Geisha in the Old City (Hiroshi Inagaki, 1957)

A Strange Story of East of the Rvier Sumida (Toyoda, 1960)

A House in the Quarter (Tomotaka Tasaka, 1963)

A Scent of Incense (Keisuke Kinoshita, 1964)

The Strange Story of Oyuki (Kaneto Shindo, 1992)

Not Long After Leaving Shinagawa (Kawashima, 1957)

The Story of a Love at Naniwa (Tomu Uchida, 1959)

Thanks, everyone!

Matthew H. Bernstein
Associate Professor of Film Studies
Director of Graduate Studies