Questions re Manga-based Japanese Live Action Films

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 15 22:50:50 EDT 2006

> I haven't been paying much attention, so I hesitate to ask, but is
> there any 'thoughtiness' (thanks due here to Stephen Colbert) behind
> this seemingly interminable thread? I've heard that there are people
> who collect empty beer cans, and evidently there are lots of people
> who collect titles of films based on manga. So what?

When I woke up this morning I was very surprised to see over 30 pieces
of mail in my KineJapan box. I think that sets a record for mail at
KineJapan. Either that communicates how much people are interested in
the topic or, which is just as likely, how there are literally hundreds
of live-action films in Japan based on manga spanning back to the
prewar era. It sure would be nice if someone could accumulate a list of
all these, but I can understand the frustration of some on the list
getting lots of mails many of which only add one or two films to the
list. We have not had this problem at KineJapan, so I don't see any
need to intercede, but I have seen this problem arise on other
film-related lists. Right now I don't think this is an issue, and I do
not want to stop people from asking the list for film suggestions since
that is an important role of KineJapan. But in the future if you do
foresee a lot of responses (and I think it's only necessary in such
cases), you might want to ask that responses be sent directly to you.
Since I think many on the list are interested in the responses, the
original poster can then send a final list of the films to the list a
while later. In the meantime, people are certainly free to discuss the
issues behind the call for a list of such films on KineJapan.

For instance, I thought it was interesting that almost all the
certainly may have some historical backing (it probably is true that
the number of live-action films based on manga has increased since the
1970s), but there is a danger of concluding that this is either a new
phenomenon or easily represents some shift in Japanese popular culture
or the status of film. These are all issues to discuss, but only after
recalling the large number of films based on manga before the 1970s.
Here are some examples:

There were Nonkina tosan films made in the 1920s. Many films were made
of works by Okamoto Ippei before the war. Yokoyama Ryuichi manga were
made into live action films both before and after the war. Ichikawa
Kon's Pu-san from 1954 is based on a manga, and Hasegawa Machiko's
Sazae-san was adapted into film a dozen times in the 1950s. Comedy
stars like Enoken and Shimikin and Kingoro sometimes had manga gensaku
for their films (Kingoro had the Otora-san series). Some films even had
manga in the title, like the Manga yokocho Atomic Obon films (great
title!). A lot of these were based on manga by artists mostly forgotten
like Akiyoshi Kaoru or Sugiura Yukio or appeared in now defunct manga
magazines, so it is understandable that they don't easily come to mind
today.

Some of these films were based on 4-panel manga, but the 1950s saw many
film adaptations of popular kids story manga, especially Akado
Suzunosuke, Gekko kamen (these are pretty fun!), etc. Do remember that
until the animation industry got on solid footing with Toei Doga in the
late 1950s, it was much easier to adapt some popular manga into live
action films than to do them as animation (this was the same on TV:
Tetsuwan Atomu was first a live action TV show before it was an anime).
But even after that, popular kids manga like Iga no Kagemaru and
Akakage (Yokoyama Mitsuru), Maguma taishi (Tezuka), Watari (Shirato),
Attack No. 1, etc. were made into live action films. It's also
interesting that not a small number of gag manga like Dame oyaji,
Harenchi gakuen, and even Tanioka Yasuji's stuff were made into live
action films. How many people have seen the live action version of
Lupin from 1974 (it is pretty weird!). Genre also probably had
something to do with it as one could argue that until jidaigeki really
declined after the 1970s, it was more likely for a jidai manga to be
made into a live action film than an anime. Some tokusatsu films also
found a good source in manga like Kamen Rider.

It is important to look at these films because in is in these that some
of the relations between film and manga--some of the rules of
adaptation or the ways films recalled their manga sources--were laid
out, to be used and/or altered by later films. The mediation of TV is
also very important given that, especially with the kids manga, a TV
version often existed before the film one. A lot of these works are
hard to get a hold of, but some are not, so there is material for
research out there.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html